My family is a huge fan of buffalo chicken everything, so I decided to give my Chicken Pot Pie recipe a buffalo sauce spin. I had to make a few adjustments to the recipe to get it the way I wanted as the added buffalo sauce made the “gravy” too loose. A little added flour and less chicken broth did the trick and my second try was perfect and absolutely delicious! I did not use homemade crust for this recipe as you can probably tell, but if you are looking for a pie crust recipe here is the link to the crust I use:
I am a little bit of a wimp when it comes to spicy food and my family always laughs at me while I struggle through foods that they don’t even find remotely spicy. With that said if you like your food more on the spicy side you may want to use the higher end of the buffalo sauce measurement in the ingredients.
2 tbsp. butter
1 1/2 cups frozen peas and carrots
1 large stalk of celery, chopped
2 cups cooked and shredded chicken
1/2 cup flour
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
1/4 cup half and half
Salt and pepper
1/4 – 1/3 cups buffalo wing sauce
2 tbsp. (or more) crumbled blue cheese
In a large saucepan melt the butter over medium heat. Add the peas, carrots, and celery and cook for 3-4 minutes stirring frequently.
Add the chicken and cook for another minute.
Add the flour and stir until it is absorbed into the chicken and vegetables. Cook for another minute then add the chicken broth and stir well.
Bring to a boil and cook until it starts to thicken, about 3 minutes or so.
Add the half and half and cook for another few minutes until it starts to thicken. Add the salt, pepper, and onion powder to taste and stir well.
Stir in the buffalo sauce and remove from the heat.
Of course if we are adding buffalo sauce we need to add blue cheese right? You can use as much or as little as you like.
Scoop half of the chicken mixture into a pie plate, top with half of the crumbled cheese. Add the second half of the mixture and the rest of the cheese.
Top with the pie crust and brush on an egg wash. To make the egg wash beat one egg and combine with 1 tbsp. of water.
Bake at 375 degrees until bubbly and crust has browned, approximately 30-35 minutes. I put the pie plate on a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil in case there is any spilling.
Let cool for a few minutes before serving.
Yum, yum! Enjoy!
Buffalo Chicken Pot Pie
- 1 1/2 cups frozen peas and carrots
- 1 large stalk of celery, chopped
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 2 cups cooked chicken, shredded
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- salt and pepper
- onion powder
- 1/4 cup half and half
- 1/4 – 1/3 cup buffalo wing sauce
- 2 tbsp. blue cheese, crumbled
- 1 pie crust
- 1 egg, beaten
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large saucepan melt butter over medium heat. Add peas, carrots, and celery and cook for 3-4 minutes while stirring frequently. Add chicken and cook for an additional minute.
- Add flour and stir until absorbed into vegetables and chicken. Cook for 1 minute. Stir in chicken broth and bring to a boil and cook until it begins to thicken, approx. 3-4 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt, pepper, and onion powder.
- Add half and half and boil until it begins to thicken, approx. 3-4 minutes. Stir in buffalo sauce and remove from heat.
- Scoop half of the chicken mixture into a pie plate and top with half of the blue cheese. Repeat with remaining chicken mixture and cheese. Top with pie crust.
- Make an egg wash by combining 1 tbsp. water with the beaten egg. Brush over crust. Bake until bubbly and crust has browned, approx. 30-35 minutes. Let cool slightly before serving.