While this recipe is for a Coconut Custard Pie, I decided to use the Custard Pie recipe in my mother’s old Betty Crocker Cookbook and tweak it a little. The only ingredients I changed were that I added coconut, and did not add the nutmeg. This was the first custard pie I have made, and Betty once again did not let me down. #stephandbetty
This cookbook was published in 1969 and there are many quotes and tips that you just wouldn’t see today. Above this recipe was the following quote. Oh boy, slightly outdated. You have to laugh, and be thankful that while the recipes have stayed true, some other things have changed.
Ingredients for a 9 inch pie:
2/3 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp nutmeg
2 2/3 cups milk
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup + 2-3 tbsp shredded coconut
Prepared 9 inch pie crust
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Line a glass dish with pie crust. You can use store bought, or any recipe you choose. Here is the link to my favorite crust recipe https://stephaniessliceoflife.com/2020/11/25/vodka-pie-crust/
In a mixing bowl beat the eggs slightly. The original recipe suggests a rotary beater, but I used an electric mixer. I do remember using a rotary beater many times when I was young, however.
Beat in the rest of the ingredients except the coconut. Fold in the coconut.
Pour into your prepared pie plate. I decided to use a ladle, and added the last few scoops once the pie was in the oven so not to spill. Sprinkle remaining 2-3 tbsp of coconut on top of pie.
Bake for 20 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 degrees, bake for 15-20 minutes or until knife inserted halfway between the center and the edge comes out clean.
Cool before serving. I prefer custard pie cold, but it can be served at room temperature. Refrigerate any leftovers.
Coconut Custard Pie
- 4 eggs
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 2 2/3 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup coconut (plus 2-3 tbsp)
- 1 9 inch pie crust
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Beat eggs slightly. Beat in remaining ingredients except for coconut. Fold in coconut.
- Pour into prepared pie crust. Use ladle if needed to pour into the crust while already in the oven to prevent spills.
- Sprinkle remaining 2-3 tbsp of coconut on top of pie before baking.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake for an additional 15-20 minutes or until knife inserted between the center and edge comes out clean.
- Cool before serving. Refrigerate any leftovers.