This is a delicious and easy side dish that incorporates a starch and veggies into one. It’s a two-fer! I am one of those people that was raised to always have a starch and a vegetable with a protein, are any of you like that as well?
I cut this recipe out of a magazine and glued it to an index card many, many years ago. It’s been awhile since I used my glue sticks and scissors for recipes, so this one goes quite a ways back. I think it may have been a Cooking Light recipe, but I can’t be sure. I’ve tweaked it a tiny bit over the years, but it is pretty much as it was published and it is delicious.
While I did purchase the asparagus, I was pretty excited to head outside and pick the basil and chives. This is my first year growing any type of vegetable or herbs. I pretty much feel like a farmer with my 2′ x 4′ raised garden bed. It might be time for a tractor? Anyway, on to the recipe…
3 cups water
1/2 tsp. salt, divided
1 bunch of asparagus
1 1/2 cups uncooked white rice
1 tbsp. butter
3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 – 2 tbsp. fresh chives, chopped
1 tbsp. fresh basil, chopped
1 tsp. lemon juice
1/4 tsp. pepper
Bring the 3 cups of water and a 1/4 tsp. salt to a boil.
Cut the asparagus into 1/2″ – 1″ pieces. Add to the boiling water and cook for 5 minutes. Remove the asparagus from the water with a slotted spoon, rinse under cold water. Set aside.
Add the rice and butter to the water, cover and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes or until rice is cooked. Set aside.
In a small mixing bowl whisk the eggs together with 1/4 tsp. salt. Add the cheese, chives, basil, lemon juice, and pepper. Stir well.
Stir the cheese/egg mixture into the rice. Add the asparagus and cook over low heat for 1 minute or until heated through.
Look at how creamy and delicious that looks! Enjoy!
Creamy Rice With Asparagus
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 tsp salt, divided
- 1 bunch asparagus
- 1 1/2 cups rice, uncooked
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1-2 tbsp fresh chives, chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh basil, chopped
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Bring 3 cups of water to a boil. Cut asparagus into 1/2" – 1" pieces, add to water. Continue boiling for 5 minutes. Remove asparagus from water with a slotted spoon, run under cold water, set aside.
- Add the rice and butter to the water. Simmer covered for 15 -20 minutes or until cooked. Set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl whisk together the eggs and salt. Add the cheese, basil, chives, lemon juice, and pepper. Mix well.
- Stir the cheese/egg mixture into the hot rice. Add the asparagus. Mix well. Cook over low heat for 1 minute or until heated through.