I have been craving soup this winter more than I ever have, and last night I was in the mood for some kind of chicken soup. While my husband and son love a plain old chicken noodle soup, I am not a huge fan unless I am sick. I needed to make it creamy, but since I am trying to lose a little extra uninvited weight I wanted to keep it on the lower fat side. I tried just using whole milk to give it a little creamy consistency and taste, but it wasn’t working how I would have liked and just looked like milky water so I added a little bit of half and half and it did the trick. If you want a really creamy soup, use all half and half and I’m sure it will be even more delicious.
1 tbsp. butter
1 cup chopped carrots
2-3 stalks of celery, chopped
1 potato, chopped
1 tsp minced garlic
1/4 cup flour
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 tsp. thyme
8 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup whole milk
1/2 cup half and half
2 cups shredded cooked chicken
3-4 cups noodles
Chop up your vegetables and set aside. I managed to sneak in a potato even though my son doesn’t like them, but I didn’t dare an onion 😅. I considered a mushroom but that really would have been pushing it.
If you are wondering why my carrots look so small, it is because I only had baby carrots in the house.
Melt the butter in a large saucepan. Add the garlic, carrots, and celery and cook stirring frequently for about 5 minutes until they start to soften.
Whisk in the flour, salt, pepper, and thyme and cook for about 1 minute.
Add the chicken broth and potato and stir well. Bring the soup to a boil and let boil for a few minutes before turning the heat down to low/medium to simmer.
Cover cracked and cook for 20-25 minutes stirring occasionally until the potatoes have softened.
Add the milk, half and half, chicken, and noodles and stir well.
Turn the heat up to medium and cook for 10 minutes stirring occasionally.
Serve and enjoy!
Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 cup carrots, chopped
- 2-3 stalks of celery, chopped
- 1 potato, chopped
- 1 tsp garlic
- 1/4 cup flour
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups cooked chicken, shredded
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 3-4 cups noodles
- Chop vegetables and set aside. Melt butter in a large saucepan. Add carrots, garlic, and celery and cook stirring frequently for about 5 minutes or until vegetables are soft.
- Whisk in flour, salt, pepper, and thyme. Cook for about 1 minute.
- Add chicken broth and potatoes, stir well and bring to a boil. Boil for a few minutes, reduce heat to low/medium and simmer with cracked cover for 20-25 minutes or until potatoes are soft.
- Add milk, half and half, chicken, and noodles. Stir well and cook on medium heat for 10 minutes.