Years ago I found a very easy recipe for blueberry muffins that has become my “go to” muffin recipe. I tweaked it once and made chocolate chip muffins, and today I tweaked it again and made coffee cake muffins. They came out absolutely delicious! They came out delicious! Oh, and the smell in my home was amazing.
This recipe only makes 8 muffins, so I doubled it and it worked perfectly. The recipe below is for the 8, it is not doubled.
1 1/2 cups flour
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/3 cup vegetable or canola oil
1/3 cup, or more, of milk
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup flour
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 cup butter, chilled and cubed
Sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon in a large mixing bowl.
In a measuring cup add the oil. On top of the oil add the egg, then fill the rest of the way with milk until you reach one cup. Add the vanilla into the measuring cup as well. Mine is higher because I was doubling.
Mix into the dry mixture until well combined.
Either grease a muffin tin or use paper liners. Fill the tins about 3/4 of the way full. I like to use a large cookie scoop so I don’t make as much of a mess.
Now it’s time to make that yummy streusel topping!
Combine the sugar, flour, and cinnamon in a small mixing bowl. Cut in the cold butter with a pastry cutter or two forks until butter is well combined and mixture becomes coarse crumbs.
Sprinkle mixture very liberally over the top of the batter. You want a nice thick streusel topping on coffee cake muffins.
Bake at 400 degrees for about 16-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Coffee Cake Muffins
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup butter, chilled and cubed
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease a muffin tin or line with muffin liners.
- In a large mixing bowl sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon.
- In a measuring cup add 1/3 cup oil. Add egg and milk until it measures 1 cup. Add vanilla.
- Add to dry mixture until well combined.
- Scoop batter into muffin tins until almost full.
- For topping combine flour, sugar, and cinnamon in a small mixing bowl. Cut in cubed butter with a pastry cutter until coarse crumbs. Top muffins liberally with streusel topping.
- Bake for 16-20 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
One thought on “Coffee Cake Muffins”
Pingback: Coffee Cake Muffins — Stephanie’s Slice Of Life | My Meals are on Wheels